Our standard installation procedures are outlined below, and should be followed in accordance with the application-specific brake pad installation instructions provided by the vehicle manufacturer.
Brake Pad Installation Procedure
Warning – New brake pads can take up to 200 miles to completely bed-in, so avoid extreme braking until the pad and rotor achieve sufficient surface contact.
Motorcycle Metallic Bed-In Instructions
1. After installing new brake pads, make 10 stops from 30 mph to 15 mph.
2. Make an additional 10 stops from 50 mph to 15 mph, with as little time between stops as possible.
Motorcycle Organic Bed-In Instructions
1. No special bed-in required, but still avoid extreme braking for first 200 miles.
1. To break in the new components, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30 to 35 MPH applying moderate pressure.
2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 MPH.
3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.
5. Your brakes are now ready for use and can be driven normally.
1. After reaching medium speed engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat four or five times.
2. At higher speeds engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat five times.
3. At or near race speed engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat three times. Allow a few seconds between brake engagements while car is in motion.
4. Do not hold brake pedal. Park car for approximately 20 minutes or until brake rotors are completely cool to the touch.
5. If during the above steps the brake pedal becomes soft or brake fade is noticed, park the car immediately for approximately 20 minutes. Do not hold brake pedal.
IMPORTANT REMINDERS WHEN BURNISHING/BEDDING BRAKE PADS